Useful Travel Tips before you take off
Planning a trip can be fun, but there are a lot of things to consider. If you are organizing a trip abroad, whether for business, leisure or study, here are a few helpful travel tips that will smooth your journey.
1. Learn more about where you are going.
Before you leave Singapore, take time to discover more about your destination. The more you can learn about where you’re going, the more enjoyable your trip is likely to be.
- Find out if you need to take any safety precautions, such as avoiding certain areas.
- If the climate is different from Singapore, be sure to pack appropriate clothing.
- Get some of the local currency before you arrive and know the conversion rates.
- Learn about the local customs and how to act in different circumstances.
2. Check your documents.
Ensuring you have the correct documentation and travel papers is vital. Follow these tips to see if you are on track.
3. Purchase travel insurance before you leave.
When you travel outside of Singapore, out-of-country health care can be costly and your personal health plan may not cover all your medical expenses abroad. While you can’t predict medical emergencies, you can prepare for them by purchasing adequate travel insurance before you leave.
Take time to understand the different coverage details as they may be limited and top up any additional travel insurance as required.
Does your plan covers the following?
- Overseas Medical Expenses
- Loss of personal money and/or travel documents
- Fraudulent use of Credit Card
- Travel cancellation or curtailment
- Baggage loss and/or delay
- Golf or Winter Sports Cover
4. Get vaccination and immunization.
Before you leave Singapore, check that you have all your immunizations up to date. Consult your doctor or visit a travel clinic to find out if any vaccines are recommended for your destination.
Visit World Health Organization website to know more about the general health and medical information on the country you are travelling to.
5. Pack smart.
The savvy traveler knows exactly what and how much to pack. These tips will make packing for your next trip a snap.
- Bring only what you need.
- Pack clothes into gallon size zip lock bags then press the air out of the bag and seal it.
- Hand carry all your valuables and important travel documents.
- If you are taking prescription medication, always bring the doctor’s prescription with you while travelling.
6. Emergency contacts.
Learn the location of Singapore government offices and take note of their emergency numbers in the country you plan to visit in case you are in need of assistance.
The Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs website is where you would go to find the location of a Singapore Mission in the country which you are travelling to.
The Ministry of Home Affairs website also has useful information and advice for Singapore citizens about travelling abroad.